Fiasco at the Canteen - a fifty cents lesson learnt
The day I had a run-in with a foodseller at the canteen. With one hand holding a dollar-coin, I cheerily queued at my favorite Chinese-western stall. On reaching my turn, I passed my coin to the vendor, but I changed my mind about making a purchase. The unfriendly vendor absent-mindedly returned back a 50ct coin. I tried to explain and get back my money but it fell on deaf ears. Perhaps she thinks I am an ignorant child. Or as usual, (some!) adults ignore kids assuming they are all little liars.I turned to my sister for help, who happened to forget to bring her wallet. She had sheepishly called Mum, who managed to track down her wallet in her Scouts bag and not at the table as Sister initially thought. Met Mum at the backgate in the usual mode of operation for forgotten items (which thankfully hasnt happened for a long time or Mum will turn berserk). Between the two of us, we managed to relate the incident to Mum - amidst a fresh bout of tears that came on naturally - well I was very upset!
Mum couldnt come in. She asked if there was a teacher around. Sister said Mdm Melati was. So Mum suggested to Sis to approach her for help. Sis was reluctant but she did anyway.
Mdm Melati was kind and believed me. She tried to speak to the food operator. But alas to no avail. It's two people's words with the nasty vendor choosing to disbelieve me. After all, she stands to lose fifty cents ! It feels awful to be accused. As the bell rang, Mdm Melati told Sister to look for her at 5Kindness. It turned out that Mdm Melati gave Sister the missing fifty cents. That's really sweet of her, but mum later told Sister to return it.
The whole issue is not really about losing fifty cents. Take it as the price of a valuable lesson learnt. The real lesson is that we need to stand up for our rights. If we need help, go and find a solution (eg ask Teacher for help). If we dont succeed, at least we take pride that we have tried. And for Sis, that she has overcome her fear of speaking up to help her very own sister --- which included lending her shirt for some tear-soaking experience - made Mum beam with pride.
And for me, that I learnt that yes there are all sorts of people in this world - nasty and nice. That there is always someone there for me. That inspite of this incident I will not be affected negatively. I will still buy food from the Canteen - just dont give business to that nasty stall owner ! That is, if I dont want to - but if I do want to eat their food, I will not stupidly back up down just because of her either! I will keep my rights ... but I will certainly be more CAREFUL this time. That's my valuable lesson paid at the price of a fifty-cent lesson - a small price to pay - thankfully footed by mummy :)!
--- written in the eyes of YW, by mummy ----

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home